Yup. this is the current kitchen. Everything is ripped out (besides the floors... doing that on Monday)
And now the big question...What are we doing? Honest, I have no freaking idea. No that's not true, I have way to many freaking ideas. The internet is driving me crazy with all of it's pretty pictures and cool ideas, it's so overwhelming. And then there is the budget. Did you know that everything is not free? I know, sucky, but we are on not in a position to spend away... Plus I like my things used or recycled with character and charm. (and free of cheap(but well made))
And it's not like this isn't like my 100th kitchen remodel, but this one is personal. Like has potential to me the kitchen of my (our, but mostly my) dreams. And that's a lot of pressure. Here is the list of the big things we need to figure out. Soon.
- Do I eat grass and dirt for a few months and save enough money to get a wolf gas range or do I get a way less expensivedecent stove that I will probably burn out within 5 years (I burn out ovens... I like to cook hot!)
- Where does the fridge go ? Currently the old fridge is on the opposite wall, and it almost kinda works there, but I wanted that wall to be bare. so?
- Dish washer? I could live without, but the mr wants one. He is probably right but we have been hand washing for so long now that I might miss it. (ok, probably not)
- And the sink. Old farm sink or a newer 2 bay?
- Do we do a tile back splash? And if yes, white subway or what ?(no color or anything trendy...)
- The floor. We know that if the there is hard wood or any nice soft wood under the layers of shit on top, we will sand and keep. I am hoping for that, but it's not looking good from what we see so far. So then what? I don't think I want tile but should we really lay hardwood down?
- Lighting. Actually not a big deal here cause I feel like lighting is so easily changed out for us that if we don't like it,we'll just change it.
- And the biggy big big.. Cabinets and counter tops. I know no laminate and no wood countersbut I don't want fancy or expensive or ugly. And the cabinets could possibly come from ikea and we face them ourselves or I find some cool old dressers!?
What we do know is that we are going to stick some type of french door situation here. The doors have to be cool, old, and be half, if not entirely made of glass. I have my heart set on a pair of antique garden doors that came from FranceI saw last year at a reclaim store which have sense been sold.. SO whoever bought them give them back. That's not a lot to ask right?
Yeah. Just looking for the right set. We might even find cool doors we like and DIY something. We want the doors soon, but are not going to settle on anything mah... we will wait for the right ones.
Thinking that the stove is going to go on the far wall where the black is. Have a little counter and a long counter against the opposing wall.... Still not 100% The sink is (was) in a good spot so it's staying under the window.
Definitely our favorite spot in the house. The heater is getting removed, but other then that, again, not sure. Just know that it has to stay a fantastic nook for coffee consumption.
So that's where we are right now with the kitchen. We have a little more time, but soon all ofthese decisions have to be made and we will start putting it all back together (SO EXCITED!) Until then, I will continue to scour the internet for ideas , the salvage yards and craigslist for all the cool stuff, and all the vending machines for any left change.